Rehire of Former Employees Policy
Former employees can be a valuable resource and can save time and money in orientation and training costs.
For this reason, ABX will consider former employees for rehire.
· Former ABX Air employees will be considered for rehire. The reason for separation, performance during their previous ABX employment, and intervening work history all will be considered carefully before any offer is extended.
Reemployment at ABX is a privilege, not an entitlement.
- This policy applies to all non-bargaining unit employees.
How Are My Benefits Affected?
Medical, Dental Vision Insurance, & Short-term Disability
· The effective date of your coverage depends on whether you were covered before and how long you were gone from ABX.
· If you were not covered during your previous period of employment or if you have been gone for 12 months or more, you would be eligible for coverage after 60 days for full-time employees and 120 days for part-time employees.
· If it has been less than 12 months since you were covered under ABX insurance (including COBRA), your coverage begins on your rehire date. Otherwise, you must complete 12 months of fulltime service to be eligible.
Vacation Accrual and Anniversary Date
· If you are rehired within one year, your vacation accrual and anniversary date will be restored to the level you previously attained. · If you are rehired after one year, your vacation accrual and anniversary date will start over.
Retirement and 401 (k)
· Your eligibility to rejoin each plan will depend upon your status when you terminated employment, how long you were gone, and the status of your new position. Since each individual’s circumstances will be different, it is recommended that you contact the Employee Benefits Department to discuss your situation.
Paid Sick Time
· Sick time starts over at zero. No previous balanceswill be restored.
Company Seniority Date
· This date starts over and will be based upon the date you were rehired into a full or part-time position.
Job Classification Seniority Date
· This starts over and will be based upon the date you were rehired into a full or part-time position. This date is used to determine shift bid and days off in some areas.
Job Family Seniority Date
· This starts over and will be based upon the date you were rehired into a full or part-time position that is covered in the hourly layoff policy. This date would be used in the event of a layoff for certain positions.
· Comply with the hiring process, especially regarding your employment history since leaving ABX.
· Properly document the performance and reason for leaving of all employees so Recruitment has good information when making rehire decisions.
How Is My Pay Affected?
· If you are rehired to the same
position and you had less than one year of service in your most recent period of
employment with ABX Air, your pay will be set at the start rate of the step
If you are rehired to the same position within one year, you will return to your former step on the pay scale. After one year, you will lose steps on the pay scale that correspond to the amount of time you have been away from the company. For example, an employee who was formerly at the three-year step and is rehired after 11 months will be returned to the three year step.
2 ABX Air, Inc. Human Resources Department
If the same employee is rehired after 13 months, he or she will return to the two-year step. This option may be used only one time in an employee’s career at ABX.
If there are subsequent rehires, the employee will return at the start rate of the step scale.
Exempt and Non-Exempt Positions
· The pay rate will be determined based on the applicant’s qualifications.
Re-Employment of Veterans Returning From Active Duty
Employees who left full-time, part-time, or casual positions to serve in the armed forces are entitled to reinstatement to their former positions or to positions of a like seniority, status, and pay upon application for reinstatement if they meet all of the following:
· The active duty did not exceed five years.
· The individual is discharged or released from the service having satisfactorily completed his or her military service and presents a certificate to that effect.
· Application for re-employment is made within 90 calendar days after release from active duty or from discharge from hospitalization.
· The individual is still qualified and capable of performing the duties of the position.
Veterans who have been rehired following active duty may not be discharged, except for cause, within one year of the date of reinstatement.
Employees who join the Reserves or National Guard and who need to leave employment for initial training have the same re-employment rights as returning veterans, with the following exceptions:
· The request for re-employment must be made within 30 days from the release from active duty.
Employees are protected from discharge without cause for 30 days following reinstatement.
Copyright © 2005. ABX Air, Inc. All rights reserved.